Apply for an identity document

Note: The Department of Home Affairs has launched an online booking system for some offices. For list of offices visit . To book an appointment go to 

If you are 16 years and older, you may apply for identity document (ID). You will need an ID to register for your matric exams, get a driving licence or open a bank account.

If you get your ID and there are errors in the personal information, the Department of Home Affairs will replace your ID free of charge.

You can apply to have your ID re-issued:

  • if you are married and want to assume the surname of your spouse.
  • if you are a woman and want to apply for a new ID using any of your previous surnames
  • if your ID book has been lost, stolen or damaged.

The Department of Home Affairs is replacing the green ID book with a smart ID card. It will be done over eight years starting in 2014, so you will not necessarily get an ID card when you now apply. If you already have an ID, you will be invited to apply for the ID card.

Find out more about or contact the .

Temporary identitity certificate

If your application for an identity document will not be completed in time for you to be able to vote, you can apply for a temporary identity certificate (TIC). The TIC will cost R70-00. You will need:

  • ID number for verification
  • 2 ID photos


Share this page